"A girl was never ruined by books," my mother used to say. I've spent most of my life trying to prove that wrong.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Halloween Coming Up: A Spooky Night at the Drawn and Quarterly Bookshop

Drawn and Quarterly is a Montreal publishing house that specializes in what is quaintly called "graphic novels."  They are far more than simple comic books: one of their best sellers a biography by Chester Brown of Métis martyr Louis Riel, a book that is celebrating its 10th anniversary.

It also has a great little bookstore in Montreal's Mile End district with a very electic mixture of fiction, non-fiction, and children's books from a wide variety of publishers.  October 30 it will deck itself out as The Haunted Bookstorre, with readings and other neat stuff for the young and old.

They've asked me to take part, and at the moment I think I'll read from my story "Nothing But Good Times" from my last collection The Truth Is which has a kind of spooky ending. Alternatively, maybe I'll choose a part of "The Jolly Corner," one of Henry James's ghost stories. 

Looking forward to this.  Here's the relevant info:

"The Haunted Bookstore
Wednesday, October 30, 6 to 8 pm, at Librairie Drawn and Quarterly, 211 Bernard W.  Montreal.
Join us on October 30th at 6 p.m. for a Halloween party at Librairie Drawn and Quarterly. Come get tricked! Come get treated! Enjoy the spooky décor and listen to scary readings !"

No comments:

Post a Comment