"A girl was never ruined by books," my mother used to say. I've spent most of my life trying to prove that wrong.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Mary's Picks: A Conversation about Five Great Books for the Bibliothèque Robert-Bourassa

This is in French--and I find listening to myself rather painful.  But some may want to see what I suggested when my local library asked me to pick five books that I think everyone should read.


I decided to suggest books written in a language other than French, and came up with one translated from Spanish, one from Icelandic and three from English.  They are (with their English titles:

The Old Man Who Read Love Stories by Luis Sepúlveda, The Green House by Ava Audur Olafsdottir, Dobryd by Ann Charney, No Great Mischief by the late, great Alistair MacLeod (and I did the recording last month, before his death) and Runaway by Alice Munro.

All good reading, in whatever language you prefer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment