"A girl was never ruined by books," my mother used to say. I've spent most of my life trying to prove that wrong.

Friday, May 30, 2014

For Short Story Lovers: 31 Stories That Steven Beattie Thinks Are Terrific

Every year Quill and Quire's review editor Steven W. Beattie devotes the month of May to talking about 31 short stories that should be read by every lover of the genre.  Here's the link to this year's harvest, which looks terrific.

I must admit that I've not read most of the writers Beattie's picked this time around, but I'm making a list and intending to look for their works.  But he also includes several of my favorites, including Shirley Jackson, the American Richard Wright and Cynthia Flood. Definitely worth checking out. 

One quibble: it would be nice if Beattie included a printable list of the writers and the stories he's picked at the end of the exercise so you can take it with you to the bookstore/library.

No comments:

Post a Comment